User Guide: OpenKey Guest App
OpenKey is the premier solution for keyless hotel room access utilizing mobile key technology, never lose your hotel room key again.
What is a Mobile Key?
Keyless entry to hotel rooms is achieved by utilizing a technology called a mobile key. A small bit of code is downloaded onto the mobile phone which, in turn, interacts with Bluetooth-capable locks, allowing guests to open their room doors.
Download the application
In order to use the OpenKey application you first must download the application from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store (https://connector.openkey.co/apps/1).
- Open the respective App Store and search for “OpenKey”
- Once located, select “Get” or “Install”
- After a successful installation, tap to open the OpenKey application
Verify your phone number
Once the app is downloaded, allow for push notifications (Note: Push notifications are required to receive your key. Don’t worry, we won’t send you a thousand notifications!). Then enter your phone number and tap the “Request Verification Code” button. You should now receive a text message with your individual code (Note: This code expires after a few minutes, so be sure to enter it as soon as you receive the message. If your code does end up expiring, simply repeat the first steps to receive a new verification code). Copy and paste or manually enter your verification code into the app. Then tap “Get My Key.”
If your destination hotel has already checked you in, the app will automatically start downloading (See DOWNLOAD A MOBILE KEY below).
If you have not been checked into the hotel yet, you will see one of two messages:
- "Sorry! We were unable to locate any reservation under this mobile number. Please contact the hotel directly to add your mobile number to your reservation."
- This error means that the mobile number you entered is not associated with a reservation in the OpenKey system. This could be because a different phone number (or no phone number) is listed in your reservation, or the hotel's reservations are not integrated with the OpenKey system. To remedy this error, please verify with the hotel directly that your mobile number is on your reservation and try again. If you receive this message again, please check in at the front desk to receive your key.
- Your check-in details.
- This section shows your reservation details which means your phone number is already associated with your reservation. Once the hotel completes your check-in, the app will automatically start downloading your mobile key upon opening the app (See DOWNLOAD A MOBILE KEY below).
Download a Mobile Key
The mobile key will start to download onto the device.
Open Your Door
Once the mobile key has been successfully downloaded, the guest will be able to open their door. Tap on the big orange key activation button. Follow the instructions on the key screen to see whether you need to hold your phone to the lock while pressing the key button within the app or simply press the button within a few feet of the lock.
A green checkmark will appear on the screen along with a vibration of the device indicating that the door has successfully been opened.
Navigating the OpenKey App
Search Hotels - Locate a variety of hotels that support OpenKey. Select the appropriate country (USA is selected by default) and enter the City or State in the search field. A secondary search is available to further filter the list within the city/state the user first searched. This screen will show if you select "Search Hotels" from the upper, left-hand hamburger menu or if you have verified your phone number previously and re-entered the app without an active mobile key.
Active Mobile Key - Allows the guest to access their room and common areas along with other features within the app.
- Room location
- Share Key
- Front Desk
- How To clip
Share Key- Allows the main guest on the reservation the ability to share their key with other members of their party, if allowed by the hotel. To view more about how to limit the number of mobile keys a guest can share, check outour article on limiting shared keys.
Front Desk- Opens the dialer and allows you to call the front desk.
How To- Opens a short video showing how to open your door.
More- Shows the following additional options
Express Checkout (leading to Guest Feedback) - The key will expire automatically at the scheduled date and time of check-out unless the hotel has checked the guest out via a PMS integration or manually in HOST. The user will also be able to check out from the OpenKey app (see above).
Once checked out, the key is automatically expired. The user will now see a Feedback Screen asking how their stay was. They can fill in the type of experience and comments if they choose. Once submitted or skipped, the app will go back to the Search Hotels screen.